In our biology class we have been studying the endocrine system.
We had to prepare an activity in our blogs. I worked with Agostina Alday.
- Define HORMONE: a chemical substance produced by a gland, carried by the blood, which alters the activity of one or more specific target organs.
- Glands which secrete hormones in the human body
- Heart beats faster, supplying oxygen to your brain and muscles more quickly, which gives them more energy for fighting or running away.
- Increases breathing rate, more oxygen can enter the blood in the lungs.
- Blood vessels in the skin and digestive system contract so that they carry very little blood. Makes you go pale.
- Pupils in the eye widen, more light is allowed into the eye which might help you see more clearly.
- Liver releases glucose for the muscles so that they can release energy for contracting.
In the image above a man is riding a unicycle on the peak of a cliff. This is a very risky situation because if you lost the balance you would fall from a very high height.